Sunday, November 22, 2009

3:5 The Cost of Living, 3:6 I Do, 3:7 Not In Portland, 3:8 Flashes Before Your Eyes

3:5 The Cost of Living


-I think it's safe to say that Eko had the worst childhood of anyone else on the Island - and that's saying a lot. Everyone has daddy issues, but kidnapped and forced into being a child soldier probably wins in just about any contest.

-Hurley remarks "Do you guys smell smoke?" - a clue that the smoke monster is going to have a big role in this story. I think it's fun that we usually get a clue about smoke before we see the monster (a smoke alarm beeping, or a sign that says "no smoking.")

-Colleen's funeral has Buddhist overtones to it - everyone is dressed in white - but the way they send her body out to burn on a raft also seems rather Nordic. We've had hints in season 5 that dead bodies left unattended on the Island are not a good idea; maybe this is why they send bodies off the Island.

-Maybe I'm being a bit slow, but I had never realized before that the images Eko sees in flashes while the smoke monster surrounds him are all of people he has killed. Is the SM ultimately just concerned with murder?

-Again, maybe this is obvious, but there is no way Jack saw those x-rays by accident.

-The scene where Juliet is holding the signs on video tape to give Jack her secret message is one of my favorites - realizing that she might not be totally on board with what Ben is doing is a big twist.

-Who else does Juliet resemble? Ben tells Jack that they chose her to question him because she looks like Sarah. But we know that Juliet also looks like someone from Ben's past (Harper says Ben is nice to her because "you look just like her.") Who is it?

Best lines:

EKO: I did not ask for the life that I was given. But it was given, nonetheless. And with it... I did my best.

-------

BEN: I'm telling you this, Jack, because my wonderful plan got shot to sunshine when you saw my damned x-rays and figured out I was dying.

JACK: All of this... you brought me here to operate on you. You... you want me to save your life?

BEN: No, I want you to want to save my life. But we're beyond that now, so... all I can ask is that you think about it. Do you believe in God, Jack?

JACK: Do you?

BEN: Two days after I found out I had a fatal tumor on my spine, a spinal surgeon fell out of the sky. And if that's not proof of God, I don't know what is.


3:6 I Do



-The song "Slowly" is such a cool choice for Kate's flashback. Lostpedia points out that it's one of only two times a song has played on the soundtrack that the characters are not listening to (the other is "I Shall Not Walk Alone" during season 1.)

-Ben's plan to get Jack's cooperation is impeccable: get Kate to convince him, and if that doesn't work, convince Jack that Kate doesn't care about him, so he will give up all hope and agree to do the surgery just to get away from her. He knows that Jack wouldn't leave without Kate otherwise. So twisted, and so brilliant.

-Jack's behavior when he learns about Kate and Sawyer is very different than the way he reacted to his wife's betrayal. With Sarah he hounded her for explanations, contested the divorce, and just would not let it go. With Kate, he just wants to leave, and vows to come back and rescue her. Maybe he is growing after all.

-Locke notices that Eko's scripture stick says "Lift up your eyes and look north." Underneath that it says John 3:05, which refers to this verse: "Jesus answered, 'I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.'"

-Kate's captivity on Hydra island is a nice parallel to her feelings of being stuck in her marriage with Kevin in her flashbacks. It's those kinds of connections that make Lost so amazing.

-Whose voice told Jack to try the door? It kind of sounds like Alex to me.

-There must be some force on the Island that makes it possible for men to grow beards, but makes it impossible for women to grow armpit or leg hair. Even Rousseau is clean and smooth, and she's French for crying out loud!

-Ben says "See you on the other side" as he goes under for surgery, which is the same thing Anthony Cooper says to Locke before his kidney transplant.

-Kate's pregnancy scare is one of several we see on the show - Sarah has one right before she and Jack split up, and Kate has another one in season 4.

-A lot of drugging goes on too. Kate drugs Kevin, Sun drugs Michael, Kate (again) drugs Jack. That's another topic I'll be writing about soon.

-We hear the first mention of Jacob, from Pickett, who says "Shephard wasn't even on Jacob's list." Little did we know how important Jacob would be!

-Speaking of Skaters, they finally got their wish when Kate and Sawyer have some alone time in Sawyer's cage. Or at least they think it's alone time.


Best lines:

KATE: Taco night? I don't do taco night!

-------

JACK: You needed to be in surgery yesterday.

BEN: Alright, then. Whatever you need, it's yours. I'm ready.

JACK: I think you misunderstood me. I didn't say I was gonna do it. I just wanted you to understand how you're gonna die.

...

BEN: Well, Jack. I'm very disappointed in your decision.

JACK: Well, Ben. At least you won't have to be disappointed for very long.

3:7 Not In Portland



-Yay, Juliet's first episode! I didn't like Juliet at first, but seeing her back story provides so much insight into her motivations, and makes her a much more sympathetic character. Now she's one of my favorites.

-What is it with showing needles being stabbed into tummies on this show? Ouch! I'm so glad when I did IVF that the needles (at least the ones that went into my belly) were MUCH smaller than the one Juliet sticks Rachel with.

-Speaking of Rachel, I'm sure her name is not an accident. The Biblical Rachel was the second wife of Jacob. He fell in love with her first but was tricked into marrying her sister Leah. Rachel was infertile, and Jacob still loved her more than Leah, which in those times was a big deal, since a woman's worth was determined entirely by her ability to produce male children. Rachel eventually conceives twice (her first son was Joseph, of the coat of many colors story) and dies while giving birth to Benjamin.

-We get our first look at Room 23, the room where they threatened to put Walt if he didn't behave. So creepy and cultish.

-Once again, we see a character behave completely different on Island and off Island. Juliet is so calculating and hardened on the Island - she does what needs to be done without flinching, like when she shoots Danny and doesn't even blink - but in her flashback she is so vulnerable and afraid, hiding from her ex-husband and letting him control her life. She seems much stronger on the Island, but at the same time, we know she is being held against her will and controlled by Ben.

-I'm intrigued by the CT scan Richard Alpert shows Juliet. She says they appear to be the womb of an elderly woman, and he tells her the woman is actually 26. What on the Island would cause this? So far we've seen many women die during pregnancy, but early menopause wouldn't cause this - it would cause a complete inability to conceive. We also know that the Island makes men super fertile. What is behind all of this? I hope we'll find out.

-Richard tells Juliet she's "special" - something we've also heard him say to Locke. What exactly does it mean?

-Tania Raymonde is so great as Alex, but I always have flashbacks to Malcolm in the Middle when I see her. So funny.

-I love the scene where Jack has Kate tell him the story he told her the first time they met. It's so well done by both actors. It's scenes like this that make it impossible for me to decide whether I'm a Jater or a Skater.

-Ed getting hit by the bus = pure awesomeness. Every. Time.

-When Juliet tells Jack that Ben promised her she could go home, it's the first time that Jack realizes that he and Juliet are on the same side.


Best lines:

JULIET: Can my sister come?

ALPERT: Won't work. We're pretty remote. She wouldn't have access to the treatment that she needs.

JULIET: But, it's Portland. There's plenty of clinics and...

ALPERT: Well, actually we're not quite in Portland.


3:8 Flashes Before Your Eyes


-In some ways, this is the episode that changed it all. It's the first use of time travel as a plot device - although Desmond's experience is more mental than physical.

-There has got to be a reason we've never seen Desmond's father (or his mother, come to think of it.) Since parental issues are such a big deal on the show, our lack of knowledge about Desmond's childhood is a glaring omission. All we know is that Desmond helped his mother take care of his brothers because his father wasn't around, but we don't know why. I'd be willing to bet that we'll find out more in season 6.

-When Desmond sees Charlie busking on the street, he's singing "Wonderwall" : "Maybe you're gonna be the one that saves me." And as we know, Desmond IS the one that saves Charlie, several times. (And it's the first song I learned to play on the guitar, I'm sure that's the real reason the writers used it.)

-Desmond's interactions with Charles Widmore have so much more meaning now that we know more about Widmore's history with the Island. It makes me wonder if Widmore knew that Desmond would play an important role, or if he's really just acting out of pure spite.

-Eloise Hawking is one of the coolest characters of all time. Just brilliant.

-We get yet another Wizard of Oz reference - the man wearing red shoes is crushed under a collapsing building and only his shoes are sticking out, just like the Wicked Witch who is crushed by Dorothy's house.

-Ms. Hawking introduces us to the concept of the universe "course correcting." I have a feeling this is going to play a big role in the final season - can the Losties change things through free will or are they at the mercy of the universe/fate?

-Ms. Hawking says that Desmond has to go to the Island or "all of us are dead." Does she mean pushing the button was really saving the world? Or does Desmond have something else to do that we haven't seen yet?

-The only bad thing about this episode is that we find out Charlie is going to die. Waaah!

Best lines:

MS. HAWKING: You don't buy the ring, Desmond.

DESMOND: How do you know my name?

MS. HAWKING: Well, I know your name as well as I know that you that don't ask Penny to marry you. In fact, you break her heart. Well, breaking her heart is, of course, what drives you in a few short years from now to enter that sailing race -- to prove her father wrong -- which brings you to the island where you spend the next 3 years of your life entering numbers into the computer until you are forced to turn that failsafe key. And if you don't do those things, Desmond David Hume, every single one of us is dead. So give me that sodding ring.

--------

MS. HAWKING: That man over there is wearing red shoes.

DESMOND: So, what then?

MS. HAWKING: Just thought it was a bold fashion choice worth noting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment