Tuesday, July 21, 2009

1:13 Hearts and Minds


Ahh, the twisted love of a stepbrother and a stepsister. I have to say that I find the whole Boone/Shannon storyline pretty creepy. Kind of a Luke and Leia thing - except that Boone and Shannon know they're related to each other (no blood relation of course, but still, close enough to skeeve me out.)

The theme of Boone's journey is learning to let go of Shannon. Locke's manipulations seem to work:

BOONE: I saw her -- I saw her die.

LOCKE: How did you feel? When she died?

BOONE: I felt -- I felt -- I felt relieved. I felt relieved.

LOCKE: Yes. Time to let go. [Locke gets up and grabs his pack.] Follow me.

[Boone follows.]


Although Boone has let go of his love for Shannon, he immediately replaces it with something else - devotion to Locke. He follows him for the rest of his life, and his trust in Locke is what leads to his untimely death.

Not to go too far with the Locke hate (I actually like him quite a bit), but it strikes me as pretty hypocritical of Locke to spend so much time forcing Boone to let go of Shannon when Locke himself was completely unable to let go of what his father did to him. I can't help but wonder if Locke had an ulterior motive; he knew that Boone would never be completely subservient to him as long as Shannon was a determining factor. But that's probably too cynical of me.

A key point in the overall story (especially season 2) is when Sayid discovers a magnetic anomaly on the Island. He says that a minor aberration would cause a change of a few degrees on a compass, but whatever was on the Island was so major that obviously the compass had to be defective. Also interesting: Locke tells Sayid he doesn't need a compass anymore. What is causing him to be so in tune with the inner workings of the Island?

0 comments:

Post a Comment