Tuesday, July 21, 2009

1:12 Whatever the Case May Be


I love the beginning of this episode, with Kate picking fruit up in a tree. Apparently Evangeline Lilly is quite a climber. She and Sawyer discover a gorgeous lagoon with a majestic waterfall. When they decide to go swimming they find that something sinister lurks beneath the surface - remnants of their airplane, with decaying bodies still strapped into their seats. The lagoon is a metaphor for Kate - she appears innocent but has a dangerous past. The deeper we go though, the more we realize that Kate isn't really evil; her past is actually more sad than menacing.

That said, I have a hard time understanding Kate's motivation when it comes to the airplane. I can understand why a memento like that would be important to her. But is it worth staging a bank robbery? Or digging up a dead body, and lying to everyone around her? And why does she lie about it? Why not explain to Jack its importance? I have a hard time wrapping my mind around that. It stands out to me as a plot device that doesn't really make sense.

Something that makes me laugh is that Kate is apparently doing a lot of shaving. All the men are all stubbly but we never see a hairy female armpit or leg. Maybe she got laser hair removal while she was on the run.

I love the scene where Rose prays with Charlie. Poor Charlie who just kicked heroine, had a near death experience, and is now blaming himself for Claire's kidnapping. If anyone needs a higher power, he does.

0 comments:

Post a Comment