Monday, January 18, 2010

5:4 The Little Prince, 5:5 This Place is Death 5:6 316

5:4 The Little Prince


See my original post on this episode here.

This is the episode that convinced me that season 5 is the season of character evolution. Nearly every main character makes HUGE changes that we never would have expected them to make. Jack sits back and lets things happen; Sawyer settles down with Juliet as a functioning member of society; Sun turns into a vengeful would-be hitwoman; and Kate finally accepts responsibility for her actions and stops running away from her problems. It's very interesting to watch that evolution take place - in this episode Kate is still hanging on to her new life with Aaron, but we know that will change soon.

-On the Searcher, Kate tells Jack she can't sleep and it's going to take her more than a couple of nights to get used to sleeping in a normal bed. I have to say, I don't think it would take me that long. I am no Kate.

-Kate tells Jack that Claire wanted Aaron to be placed for adoption. In Kate's mind, that justifies her taking Aaron as her own. What Kate doesn't know is that the Island didn't want Aaron to be "raised by another."

-I don't really get why Kate, Jack et al believe that the people they left behind are still alive. If I had seen the Island disappear I would be more inclined to think that they all died.

-Kate to Jack: "I have always been with you"... except when I was with Sawyer?

-It is SO horrible when Jack realizes that Claire's mom doesn't know about Aaron. That scene gives me the same feeling in my stomach as when I realize I've just sent an emotionally charged e-mail to the wrong person.

-It stood out to me that Locke says "I have to make them come back." Kind of a contrast to Jacob, who harps on and on about how it's their choice.

-Maybe I missed it, but do we know who sent the man to attack Sayid in the hospital? Was it Ben?

-When Aaron is born Kate tells Claire "This baby is all of ours." I'm guessing neither one knew that would literally be true.

-Claire is the best screamer on the show. Man can that girl scream!

-I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I love how the van carrying Locke's body says "Canton Rainier" - an anagram for "reincarnation."

-How many times has someone referred to someone else as a "yahoo"? What a weird term.

-Still unanswered: Who was in the other outrigger shooting at them?

-Sawyer tells Juliet "What's done is done." Pretty soon we'll know why he likes that phrase so much.

-Kate lives at 42 Panorama Crest. Maybe I'm superstitious, if I was one of the Oceanic 6 and buying a house in L.A., I'd probably pick one that didn't have one of The Numbers in the address. Just sayin'.

-Newsflash to Island survivors: If something horrible is happening to you, there is a 99.9% chance that it's because of Ben.

-I love young Rousseau, and I'm so glad we finally got to see her story. And I love that the actress who plays her is actually a native French speaker (the older Rousseau is played by a Croatian actress, and you can really tell by her accent.)


Best lines:

JACK: Ben is on our side.

SAYID: The only side he's on is his own.



5:5 This Place is Death


Go here to read my original post on this episode.


-The voice Montand is listening to on the radio (the one repeating the numbers) is definitely Hurley. I can't believe I never noticed that before.

-I am SO glad Nikki Stafford said Sun's conversation with Ji Yeon reminds her of Annyong on Arrested Development. I thought it was just me!

-This episode gives us a better idea of why Rousseau is cucko for Cocoa Puffs. If I had seen my friend dragged down a hole and de-armed by a smoke monster I might start setting booby traps in the jungle too.

-Speaking of Montand, after his sexist remark I'm glad he got his arm squeezed off.

-Charlotte says "This place is death," and indeed it is. But for some, it is life. What is it about the Island that makes it kill some people and heal others?

-Ben says that if they knew what he had done to protect them, they would never stop thanking him. Is there something to this, or is he just being manipulative again? Sometimes I wonder if there will be a big twist to show us once and for all that Ben really is the "good guy." It would have to be a pretty damn big twist though considering everything he has done.

-Once again, why couldn't Christian help Locke turn the wheel? I think it has something to do with the way Ben wouldn't let anyone come with him when he turned it. Maybe it has to be a one-person job to have the desired effect. Christ metaphors abound.

-Another theme - Locke's broken leg, which is also a Christ metaphor - it was prophesied of the Messiah that none of his bones would be broken, like a sacrificial lamb, which had to be whole. Another story says that when a sheep wandered, a shepherd would intentionally break its legs, and then carry it until it was healed, ensuring that the sheep would always trust the shepherd and do what he asked. (There is no Biblical or historical evidence that this was ever done, but it does fit in quite nicely to Locke's story.)

Best lines:

BEN: What I’m doing is helping you! And if you had any idea what I’ve had to do to keep you safe – to keep your friends safe – then you’d never stop thanking me! You wanna shoot me, then shoot me – but let’s get on with it! What’s it gonna be?

5:6 316


See my original post on this episode here.

-I love that the Dharma Initiative built the Lamp Post under a church; it speaks to the balance of faith and reason that characters are constantly dancing around on the show.

-Eloise says that Jack needs to give Locke something that belonged to his father. Is this because Locke is going as Christian's proxy, or is it because that object will somehow tie him to the Man in Black?

-Ben's description of the apostle Thomas is just SUCH a perfect metaphor for Jack. LOVE that scene.

-Jack tells Locke's body "Rest in peace." Yeah, not gonna happen.

-Still unanswered: what is in that guitar case?

-Hurley buying out the rest of flight 316 is such a contrast to Ben's answer to what would happen to everyone else on the plane: "Who cares?"

-Ben is reading "Ulysses" by James Joyce, which is a key work in the modernist movement. I don't have time to get into it in too much depth here, but I'll just say that themes of the book include searching for your father, lightness and darkness, and lots and lots of symbolism.

-Ben tells Jack that it's not his fault that Locke is dead, but he neglects to mention how he knows this for sure. So creepy.

Best Lines:

JACK: Is he [Ben] telling the truth?

ELOISE: Probably not.

0 comments:

Post a Comment