Tuesday, February 16, 2010

6:3 What Kate Does, Second Thoughts

I kind of feel like I need to apologize to episode 6:3. After watching it a second time and reading your comments I think I might have missed the point. And it was right there in the title all along.

"What Kate Does" is a reference to the season 2 episode "What Kate Did." Back then, Kate was defined by running away from her problems. She kills her father and runs away. She visits her stepfather and runs away. She kisses Jack and yep, she runs away. It isn't until the end of season 5 that she finally confronts her problems by giving Aaron to his grandmother and going back to the Island to try to find Claire. In the flashsideways it's almost like we're seeing season 5 Kate instead of season 1 Kate. Yes, she's on the run from the marshal. But she also goes back to find Claire. She takes some responsibility for her actions. "What Kate Does" is very different from "What Kate Did." Kate asks Claire "Would you believe me if I said I was innocent?" This time, maybe she really is.

Something else I missed the first time is in the shot of Claire's sonogram picture:
Notice the date - 10/22/2004. The original flight 815 crashed on the Island on September 22, 2004, so this episode apparently takes place a whole month later. Has something happened to push the time line back? One possible explanation is that the date is Claire's due date (which would be about a month away according to Dr. Goodspeed), but I have had a lot of ultrasounds and they have never had the due date on them.


See you later tonight after the new episode!

0 comments:

Post a Comment